Cozy up this winter with crusty bready dipped in the absolutely delish instant pot beef stew recipe!
Winters is all about warming yourself with a cup of hot chocolate, steaming soup, and a savory pot of stew! But nothing beats a smoking beef stew cooked in beef broth, bursting with the flavor of nutrient-packed vegetables.
My family loves warm soups and stews; therefore, my go-to meal in winter is the instant pot beef stew, which I serve with crusty bread. It’s the perfect fulfilling meal on a chilly day with tender beef, flavorful vegetables, and hearty broth packed with a mouthwatering umami flavor.
Why We Love Instant Pot Beef Stew?
The best kind of meal is the one that takes less time to cook and tastes great! The old-fashioned beef stew takes around 9 to 10 hours to cook and requires lots of cooking, stirring, mixing, and simmering.
However, as we all know that time is money, and spending so many hours in the kitchen is impossible with our busy routines. Therefore, this instant pot beef stew recipe is a lifesaver when craving stew and having less time on your hands. And that’s why we love this recipe!
Simply put all the ingredients in an instant pot, and wait for it to cook. Within one hour, you’ll have a steaming pot of delicious beef stew ready to devour.
This instant pot beef stew is the perfect holiday meal. You can whip it up for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year dinner for your friends and family.
The best part about this recipe is that you can have it on its own with crusty bread or pair it up with steamed rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, or quinoa.
So, if you’re up to tantalizing your tastebuds with something juicy, tender, and flavorful to the highest level, brew this stew!
Recipe Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Stew
Here’s the list of ingredients required to make the instant pot beef stew:
- 2 lbs beef: I used beef chuck roast for this recipe; however, you can use cuts from any part. Cut the meat into 1-inch pieces.
- 2 cups diced potatoes: Beef stew is incomplete without starchy potatoes. Therefore, add 2 cups of diced Yukon Gold or any other variety of potatoes to the recipe.
- 1 cup green peas: Peas add a splash of fresh green to the rusty beef stew.
- 1 onion: Add one chopped onion to the recipe. You can use white, yellow, or red onions.
- 2 carrots: Add 2 chopped carrots for a dose of vitamin A!
- 2 cups beef broth: Beef broth adds savoriness to the beef stew. However, you can also use chicken or vegetable broth, based on your preference.
- 1 tbsp tomato paste: To add a unique sweet, tangy, and savory taste to the stew.
- 2 garlic cloves: Finely chopped roasted garlic gives the stew a soft buttery aroma.
- 1 tbsp olive oil: I used olive oil to cook the beef. However, you can also use avocado, coconut, or regular cooking oil.
- 2 tbsp potato starch: We need potato starch to thicken the stew consistency. As an alternative, you can also use cornstarch.
- 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder: Nobody likes bland stew! Mix in some seasonings to pop the flavor of all other ingredients.
- 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence: A blend of thyme, oregano, summer savory, and rosemary for an enhanced flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of beef chuck roast?
Chuck roast comes from the upper shoulder and lower neck of the animal and is the best kind of cut for stews. However, you can also use meat from other lean cuts, including rump or top-round roast. And, if none of these options are available, use beef brisket instead.
Can I skip cooking the beef separately and put everything in the instant pot at the same time?
If you’re short on time, you can put all the ingredients in the instant pot and cook for 35 to 40 minutes to make the stew.
How to thicken up the beef stew?
I used potato starch to thicken the gravy, but you can also use cornstarch or flour slurry to bring it to the required consistency.
Tips and Tricks
1. Store the leftover instant pot beef stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
2. Add mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, or any other vegetable of your choice to the stew.
- 2 lbs beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
- Press Sauté button on your Instant Pot. Add olive oil to metal liner and allow oil to heat. Once heated, add the beef. Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove beef and set aside. Sauté the onion and fresh chopped garlic and Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in tomato paste, stir and cook for another two minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the Instant Pot and stir.
- Add chopped potatoes, carrots, sautéed beef, salt and remaining spices.
- Mix everything and set pressure cooking for 25 minutes. Do not move the IP while the dish is cooking. Be sure lid is set to sealing position.
- After the beep, gently release the pressure and open the lid – the beef and vegetables will be soft. Press the Cancel button.
- Stir the potato starch with water and pour into the Instant Pot bowl, add also green peas. Stir and cook on Sauté mode with the lid closed for 10 minutes. Be sure that lid is not in closed/sealing position.
- Beef stew can be served immediately.
This article originally appeared on FoodNService and was syndicated by MediaFeed.
- Rare photos of Bonnie & Clyde reveal the love between America’s most notorious criminal couple
- 10 of the wildest UFO stories we’ve ever heard
Like MediaFeed’s content? Be sure to follow us.