Settle in under a comfy blanket, forget about finding all those amazing holiday deals for a few hours, and turn on a classic holiday movie.
Before you hit “play” on the remote, you can test your holiday movie knowledge with this quiz. See how many of these 10 Christmas gifts from classic films you can remember. Some will surely throw you off!
1. What fictional pet did Randall bring home for his son in “Gremlins” (1984)?
A mogwai. Randall finds this furry little creature in a Chinatown antique store. While these creatures look cute and friendly, you have to remember a few key points so that they don’t turn into Gremlins: 1) Don’t put the Mogwai near light — it can kill it. 2) Don’t let the Mogwai get wet or drink any water. 3) Never feed a Mogwai after midnight, no matter how much it begs!
2. In ‘National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989), Clark Griswold received a one-year membership to _______ in place of a bonus check from his boss.
Imagine working hard all year and being promised a bonus from your boss, but instead, you get a membership to the “Jelly of the Month Club.” Ouch! But that’s exactly what happened to Clark Griswold. Unfortunately, he had already put down the money he thought he’d be receiving on a pool. Sadly, jelly won’t cover a cost that big.
SPONSORED: Find a Qualified Financial Advisor
1. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn't have to be hard. SmartAsset's free tool matches you with up to 3 fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes.
2. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is held to a fiduciary standard to act in your best interests. If you're ready to be matched with local advisors that can help you achieve your financial goals get started now.
3. In ‘Seinfeld,’ what was Frank Costanza trying to buy his son, George, when he got into a fight with another man, inspiring the creation of Festivus?
In the 127th episode of Seinfeld, Frank Costanza buys his son George a doll. According to Frank: “I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.” The doll sparked the creation of a brand new holiday, celebrated on December 23rd, as an alternative to the commercialization of Christmas. To mark the occasion, an aluminum pole without decoration is set up, and celebrants air their grievances with one another and display feats of strength.
4. In season 2 of ‘Friends,’ procrastination forced Joey and Chandler to do their Christmas shopping at a gas station. The only one who liked her present was Phoebe who received what?
In season 2, episode 9 of Friends, Phoebe receives toilet seat covers as a Christmas gift! As the group begins their gift-giving together, it becomes clear that all the gifts were purchased from a gas station. Rachel gets wiper blades and air freshener, Ross gets soda, Phoebe gets toilet seat covers, and Monica gets condoms. Unsurprisingly, Monica and Ross exchange their gifts! If you find yourself in a similar position, you could always consider reselling your unwanted gifts for some extra cash.
5. In ‘Love Actually’ (2003), Harry (Alan Rickman) bought a Joni Mitchell CD for his wife and what for his mistress?
Harry buys a necklace with a gold heart pendant for his mistress. Harry is sneaking around his wife Karen’s back with another woman from work. After a painfully long gift wrapping by the jeweler, Karen stumbles upon the necklace in Harry’s coat pocket and thinks it’s for her. Sadly for Karen, it’s not, and she ends up with a Joni Mitchell CD.
6. In “The ‘I Love Lucy’ Christmas Show,’ what was one gift that Little Ricky did NOT get for Christmas?
In “The ‘I Love Lucy’ Christmas Show,” Little Ricky gets a new bike, a new set of drums, and a train set for Christmas. The one thing he didn’t get? A pogo stick! Another fun fact: this was the very first “flashback” style episode in the history of television! Don’t want to miss out on getting the perfect gifts? Make sure you stack your bank account before the holidays!
7. In the 1955 Christmas episode of ‘The Honeymooners,’ Ralph gave Alice a novelty orange juice squeezer that looked like what historical figure?
In this Christmas special of “The Honeymooners,” Ralph gives Alice a novelty orange juice squeezer fashioned after Napoleon Bonaparte! Alice is surprised but very happy. Ralph then tells her that you put the oranges on top of Napoleon’s hat, and the juice drips from the sides.
8. What did Kevin buy the Central Park Pigeon Lady in ‘Home Alone 2: Lost In New York’ (1992)?
In the 1992 sequel to the original “Home Alone” movie, the main character, Kevin, is lost in the big city. He ends up making friends with an unsuspecting character: a “pigeon lady” in Central Park. Kevin ends up giving her one of the two ornamental turtle doves, and tells her that as long as they each had a turtledove, they’d be friends forever.
Question: In ‘Miracle on 34th Street’ (1947), what did Susan ask Santa for?
In this charming Christmas classic, Susan, the main character, doesn’t believe in Santa. Susan tells Kris Kringle that she would like a house for Christmas. Wouldn’t that be nice? She shows him a photo of her dream house from a magazine, Kris Kringle reluctantly promises to do his best.
10. In ‘All That Heaven Allows’ (1955), what did Cary’s son buy her after pressuring her to break off her engagement to Ron Kirby?
After caving in to pressure from her college-age kids, Cary breaks off her engagement with Ron Kirby. Cary and Ron go their separate ways, but with regrets. Soon, Cary’s children announce that they are moving out. Her son feels bad for having destroyed her chance at happiness and buys Cary a television set to keep her company.
How’d You Do?
1-3: We hope you do a better job identifying good presents for your family and friends. If it helps any, Gremlins are always a bad gift idea.
4-7: Susan believes you made a good effort, but you should catch up on a few films.
8-10: Bang! Zoom! You did so well we wish we could gift you a trip to the moon!
Want more fun trivia like this? Head to TriviaPop. Trivia Pop is your daily dose of challenging pop culture trivia – And it’s free! Give it a shot and see if you can beat the crowd!
This article was produced and syndicated by MediaFeed.org.