Make this super easy Air Fryer Hamburger Steak recipe for delicious juicy burgers that don’t require firing up the grill!
Next time you’re craving a classic burger but don’t feel like getting the grill prepared, consider cooking in the air fryer instead! It’s simple to make your very own hamburger patties and cook them to perfection right in your air fryer.
This is a great way to quickly and safely cook burgers for any occasion. Pair your hamburger steaks with Air Fryer Mini Potatoes for a homemade take on fast food!
You can also use these hamburger steak patties for more than just burgers! Pair them with pasta or mashed potatoes for a comforting and filling meal.
Or stack them up with your favorite toppings and create the perfect air fryer cheese burgers. However you serve them, you’ll love the ease of cooking burgers using this method.
Why You’ll Love these Hamburger Steaks in the Air Fryer
Next time you’re craving a flavorful burger but don’t want to bother with the grill or the stove, reach for your air fryer! It’s beyond easy to form your own hamburger patties, customize with your favorite seasonings, and air fry to perfection.
This cooking method is great when you want perfectly cooked burgers in a pinch. These hamburger steaks can also be used as the base for a comforting and filling dinner and paired with all kinds of additional ingredients.
Grab all your favorite burger toppings and preheat the air fryer, because this easy recipe will change the way you make hamburger steaks forever!
Hamburger Steak FAQs
Is hamburger steak just hamburger meat?
Yes, these two terms can be used interchangeably. A hamburger steak is any steak or patty that’s made with ground beef.
The additional ingredients vary, but most hamburger steaks are made of some combination of ground beef, seasonings, and bread crumbs.
How long to cook frozen hamburger steak in air fryer?
Forming and freezing burger patties ahead of time is a great way to cut down on prep time. When cooking from frozen, I recommend giving them anywhere between 12 and 16 minutes.
Cook for 10 minutes, then flip and continue to cook on the other side until they’re cooked to your liking.
Air Fryer Hamburger Steak Ingredients
- Ground Beef – use lean ground beef for a slightly lighter hamburger steak. This can also be substituted for other kinds of ground meat if you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
- Cheese Slices – American and cheddar cheese are classic options, but feel free to get creative with your choice of cheese.
- Burger Buns – use your favorite brand of burger buns
- Toppings – Lettuce, onions, and tomatoes are classic options, but feel free to top your burgers with whatever you like.
Helpful Tools and Supplies
- Air Fryer – Using an air fryer makes this recipe quick and easy to make. Cooking times might vary based on the type and size of your air fryer, so be sure to check burgers for done-ness.
- Spatula – A great tool for easily flipping burgers and removing them from the air fryer basket.
- Mixing Bowl – To combine the mixture for the burger patties.
- Cooking Oil – A light spritz of this in the air fryer basket will prevent the hamburger steaks from sticking.
- Meat Thermometer – Will help ensure that the burgers are safely cooked.
How to Make Hamburger Steak in the Air Fryer
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, add the ground beef and sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper and mix well together.
- Form 4 hamburger patties. Flatten them out so they’re slightly larger than the buns. Make an indentation in the middle of each burger to ensure even and flat cooking.
- Spray the air fryer basket with a small amount of cooking oil. Place the hamburger steak patties in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the burgers for 8 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until burgers reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F in the center.
- Top each of the patties with a slice of cheese and cook for an additional 30 seconds to melt. Serve on buns and top with your favorite toppings.
Popular Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Use ground turkey to make turkey burgers instead. This is a great option if you’re looking for something that’s a bit lighter but still comforting and flavorful.
- Add other flavors to your burgers before cooking. Ingredients like onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, or a combination of your favorite herbs will all enhance the flavor of your burgers.
- This recipe is good for more than just classic burgers! Cook your hamburger steaks, then serve them with gravy on top of rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes. Pair with a tasty veggie side dish and you’ve got a fantastic meal.
- Use different kinds of cheese to give your burgers a different twist. Pepper jack will add a tiny bit of heat, Swiss cheese has a sweet and slightly nutty flavor, and Provolone is smooth and mild and will melt perfectly.
- You can use this cooking method to make slider-sized patties as well. Cooking time will likely be shorter due to the smaller size, so be sure to keep an eye on them and check for their internal temperature.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the burgers cook to at least 160 degrees F.
- If you do like your burgers more on the rare side, use the following chart to check the internal temperature:
- Rare: 120 to 125 F
- Medium Rare: 130 to 135 F
- Medium: 140 to 145 F
- Medium Well: 150 to 155 F
- Well Done: 160 to 165 F
- Pressing an indentation into the center of each burger is a great way to ensure the burger holds its shape properly as it cooks.
- Allow cooked air fryer hamburger steaks to fully cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll be good for 3 to 4 days.
- Cooked burgers can also be frozen for up to four months.
- A great way to streamline the prep process is to prepare lots of burgers ahead of time, then store the raw patties in the freezer. Place small sheets of parchment paper in between patties to prevent sticking.
- To reheat from refrigerated, place your burgers back in the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees until heated through.
- You can also reheat the burgers in the microwave in a pinch.
- I recommend allowing the burgers to thaw in the fridge before reheating from frozen. You can also reheat them directly from frozen, but they’ll need more time.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Air Fryer Hamburger Steak
- 1 lb Ground Beef ( 4 Pattie’s)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 4 Slices Cheese
- 4 Buns
- Lettuce, Onions, Tomatoes (optional toppings)
- Pre heat air fryer to 360 degrees.
- Put the hamburger in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Mix well together.
- Form 4 patties with the ground beef.
- Cook the burgers for 8 minutes.
- Flip the hamburger patties and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until burgers reach a temperature of 160 degrees in the center.
- Top each of the patties with a slice of cheese & cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Serve on buns and top with your favorite toppings.
- I recommend an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F, but if you like your burgers rare, they can be considered done cooking at 120 degrees F.
- Use this recipe to cook hamburger steaks to use as the base for a savory dinner. Pair the cooked steaks with gravy, potatoes, vegetables, rice, pasta, and more.
- For more flavor, add ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, or other herbs and spices to the ground beef before forming your patties.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 565Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 1092mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
Serving Size: 1
This article originally appeared on Cocktails&Appetizers and was syndicated by MediaFeed.
- Rare photos of Bonnie & Clyde reveal the love between America’s most notorious criminal couple
- 10 of the wildest UFO stories we’ve ever heard
Like MediaFeed’s content? Be sure to follow us.