The 10 Foods Americans Hate the Most

FeaturedFood & Drink

Written by:

Americans hate these food the most

Ah, the age-old question of whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza. And don’t even get us started on grits. From coast to coast, Americans have a love/hate relationship with their food. But what about those foods that just can’t catch a break? The ones that are universally despised?

Career experts Zippia narrowed down a list of the 40 most hated foods in America to our top 10 dislikes. They used Google Search Trends data, such as online orders and least-used foods in recipes. By separating this data by state, and removing highly regional delicacies like grits, they were able to find the most hated food in every state.

Here are 10 foods rated dead last:


10. Carrots

Only one state declared war on carrots: Montana. The people living here have a hatred for the orange vegetable, but they’re all alone on this one.

Well done steak

9. Well-done steak

Two states need their steaks cooked just right: Connecticut and Massachusetts. Be careful if you’re the one behind the grill in these states. A well-done steak just won’t cut it.


8. Pickles

If you’re in Hawaii, don’t count on finding a lot of dishes with pickles. The only other place where pickles inspire such hatred isn’t technically a state: The District of Columbia.

Liudmila Chernetska/iStock

7. Beets

It seems like beets are not very popular in the South. The four states that would rather say “beat it” to the rooty vegetables are Alabama, Arizona, Florida, and Louisiana.

turkey bacon
BWFolsom / istockphoto

6. Turkey Bacon

Bacon may be a popular food just about everywhere, but if you’re looking for turkey bacon, you better hope you aren’t in Alaska or Colorado. Turkey bacon is also hated in Rhode Island and Wyoming.

500 / iStock

5. Sushi

While sushi is a trendy favorite in many parts of the country, not everyone is rolling with the raw fish craze. In fact, four states—Maine, Pennsylvania, Vermont, and West Virginia—are turning up their noses at sushi.


4. Bologna

The humble sandwich meat isn’t welcome in four states. Oregon, Washington and Utah on the west coast will say “no thanks” to the bologna. New Hampshire joins them in their hatred of the lunch meat.

TanyaLovus / iStock

3. Eggplant

Eggplant earns five haters across the country. Both North and South Dakota rate eggplant their most hated food. Joining them is Kentucky, Minnesota and Nevada.


2. Anchovies

Anchovies have definitely been voted off the flavor island, with twelve states dubbing them the most vile of the vile. And these states are scattered all over, from Texas in the south to Wisconsin and Ohio in the mid-west. They are joined by Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, and Oklahoma. This long list makes anchovies infamous among hated foods. But there is still one food that beats it for the ignoble title of the most hated food in America.


1. Olives

Olives are one of those love-them-or-hate-them foods. While a decent 62% of Americans might give them a thumbs up, the remaining 38% are not shy about their disdain. In fact, they despise the pitted fruit so much that it ranks as the most hated food in 13 states. You’ll find olive-haters everywhere from New Jersey and New York to California. And don’t forget all the places in between. Olives also rank last in Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee.