From eating acres of pizza each year to owning more guns than there are people in the country, there is a myriad of American facts that probably won’t surprise you, but are a good glimpse into what makes up American culture.
So, if you’re curious about how many Americans believe UFOs have landed on Earth or how much Netflix content Americans have watched during quarantine, keep reading.
1. A lot of Americans are homebodies
More than 40% of Americans have never left the country.
2. Some Americans are very grounded
13% of Americans have never flown in a plane.
SPONSORED: Find a Qualified Financial Advisor
1. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn't have to be hard. SmartAsset's free tool matches you with up to 3 fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes.
2. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is held to a fiduciary standard to act in your best interests. If you're ready to be matched with local advisors that can help you achieve your financial goals get started now.
3. Americans love their cheese
The average American consumes 40 pounds of cheese every year.
4. Americans are mostly meat lovers
Just 3.4% of Americans are vegetarian.
5. Americans love their pets
67% of American households have at least one pet.
6. We love our movies …
As of 2019, about 32% of adults see one movie in theaters each month.
7. … and our pizza …
More than nine in every 10 Americans eat pizza every month. Some estimates found that Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza daily.
8. … and fast food in general
The CDC found that about 84.8 million adult Americans eat fast food on any given day. That’s about 37% of the U.S. adult population.
9. We love to drive
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration found that the average American drives roughly 13,500 miles every year.
10. We have more guns than citizens
USA Today found that, in the U.S., there are more guns than people. For every 100 people, there are about 101 guns.
11. A lot of us have German ancestors
About 43 million Americans identify as ancestrally German. That makes German the top nationality in the U.S.
12. Selfies didn’t start in America, but we love them
82% of U.S. adults who are 18 to 34 years old have posted a selfie to social media.
13. We don’t read a lot of books
Americans read an average of 12 books per year. As such, the average American read four books in the past year.
14. Not very many of us own cryptocurrencies
10% of Americans own cryptocurrencies, which equals about 33 million Americans.
15. We all scream for ice cream
The average American eats more than 23 pounds of ice cream each year.
16. Nearly half of us are believers … in UFOs
Just under half of Americans believe UFOs exist and have landed on the Earth at some point.
17. We don’t travel a lot in our own country
54% of surveyed Americans have visited 10 states or fewer in the lifetimes.
18. A majority do not have a passport
Over half surveyed Americans said they don’t have a passport and never have had one.
19. We believe in ourselves
According to a Pew Research Center study, 57% of Americans believe that individuals control their own success. That’s more than any other county surveyed.
20. Only about a quarter have recently moved states
According to a Gallup poll, 24% of American adults have moved states within the last five years.
21. Nearly 1 million people have a heart attack every year
About 805,000 Americans have a heart attack every year. An estimated 605,000 of those have experienced a heart attack for the first time, and 200,000 have had one previously.
22. Two-thirds of us didn’t graduate college
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, more than one-third of America’s adult population has a bachelor’s degree.
23. We love our snack chips …
In 2019, 35.22 million Americans ate an average of 16 or more bags of chips, according to Statistica.
24. … and our booze
Americans drink an average of 2.3 gallons of alcohol per year. That includes beer, wine and mixed beverages.
25. A large majority of Americans identify as straight
In 2017, Gallup found that 4.5% of adult Americans identified as LGBT+, with 5.1% of women identifying as LGBT compared to 3.9% of men.
26. We spend a lot of time online
Americans spend an average of 6.31 hours on the internet daily.
27. More than half of Americans are Amazon Prime members
In 2018, 54.4% of adult Americans bought a product online using Amazon Prime.
28. Some of us are addicted to the internet
26% of American adults say that they are ‘almost constantly’ online.
29. YouTube isn’t just for the kids
73% of American adults say they use YouTube, according to a 2019 survey. 90% of 18- 24-year-olds reported that number as 90%.
30. Cell phones are ubiquitous
96% of Americans now own a cellphone.
31. Chicken is king in America
In 2019, the National Chicken Council found that Americans eat an average of 96.5 pounds of chicken per capita.
32. Meat candy can’t even compare to chicken
The typical American consumes 18 pounds of bacon each year.
33. We also love our waffles
123.44 million Americans ate waffles in 2020.
34. Frozen fried chicken is a thing
In 2020, 178.98 million Americans ate frozen fried chicken.
Related: Great chicken & waffle joints in every state
35. Americans especially love KFC
In 2018, 16% of Americans out of 1,000 surveyed said they’d marry fried chicken if they could.
36. Americans tend to carry a lot of debt
The average American has$6,194 in credit card debt.
37. American student loan debt is crushing
The average student loan debt in America is $32,731, which is a 20% increase from 2015-2016.
38. A lot of American adults didn’t vote in the last election
Despite record voter turnout for the 2020 presidential election, about 80 million Americans didn’t vote.
39. There are still a lot of ‘underwater’ homeowners
About 14% of American homeowners (17 million) owe more on their home than it’s worth.
40. There are a LOT of McDonald’s employees (and former employees)
Some studies found that 1 out of every 8 Americans have worked at McDonald’s.
41. We love our television time …
The typical American adult (over the age of 18) watches four hours of TV a day.
42. …and the pandemic has multiplied that
Some estimates say that Americans have watched a combined 203.8 million hours of Netflix each day since quarantine started.
43. We have quite a bit of free time …
The Washington Post found in 2019 that the average American has about five leisure hours a day.
44. …but little of it is spent on exercise
On the average day, the typical American woman gets 14 minutes of exercise, compared to 24 for men.
45. Few of us are bi- or multi-lingual
About 20% of Americans can speak two or more languages fluently.
46. We don’t see our doctors very frequently
The average American visits their doctor four times a year. That compares to 13 times a year in Japan.
47. Most of us have at least one cavity
91% of Americans over 20 have had at least one cavity.
48. Most of us live near where we were born
58.5% of Americans live in their home state.
49. Nearly half of us are married
USAToday found that in 2019, 48.2% of Americans over the age of 15 were married.
50. Divorces are on the decline
In 2019, 14.9 out of every 1,000 American marriages ended in divorce, which is an all-time low.
This article was created and syndicated by MediaFeed.org.