We’ve all been there: You were working at home, slurping down your first cup of joe for the day, when you coughed. A wave of shock and despair shutters through your bones. Why did you cough? Did you gulp down that coffee too hard? Are you getting sick?
And is it COVID?!
Unfortunately, this fear is following us into 2022. As the Omicron variant shows no signs of slowing down in the new year, more people are flocking to the stores and online sites to buy at-home tests. (And as some good news, you’ll likely be able to get health insurance reimbursement for COVID-19 tests you buy!) So, we’ve rounded up some at-home tests that are currently on the market to help you determine if that cough is from COVID-19 or something less pandemic-y.
About at-home tests
Note that no at-home test is 100% accurate. Always consult a medical professional with any questions about COVID or if you think you may have COVID-19.
SPONSORED: Find a Qualified Financial Advisor
1. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn't have to be hard. SmartAsset's free tool matches you with up to 3 fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes.
2. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is held to a fiduciary standard to act in your best interests. If you're ready to be matched with local advisors that can help you achieve your financial goals get started now.
Check out the CDC’s self-testing page for more information on at-home testing. You can also check the FDA’’s list of approved self-testing kits. Other at-home tests may be FDA-authorized but not listed on the FDA website at the time of writing.
Information about whether at-home tests can detect the Omicron variant is still evolving and is accurate as of writing. Note that these tests are authorized under an emergency order. This is different than being FDA-approved, which would require that the product goes through a particular testing and review process, which you can learn more about o the FDA’s website.
Tests noted to detect Omicron are based on manufacturer statements, not the FDA. You can learn more about the FDA’s research on COVID variants’ effects on tests on their website.
1. BD Veritor At-Home COVID-19 Test
2. BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test
3. CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Home Test
4. Celltrion DiaTrust COVID-19 Ag Home Test
5. CLINITEST Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test
6. COVID-19 At-Home Test
7. Ellume COVID-19 Home Test
8. mFlowflex COVID-19 Antigen Home Test
9. iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test
11. InteliSwab COVID-19 Rapid Test
12. SCoV-2 Ag Detect Rapid Self-Test
13. QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test
- Manufacturer: Quidel Corporation
- Is it FDA-authorized? Yes
- Does it detect Omicron? Yes
- Where to find it: Walgreens, Amazon, CVS, Hy-Vee, Simply Medical, Walmart, Bigy
- Your at-home COVID-19 tests can be reimbursed by health insurance next year
- 13 road trip essentials in the age of COVID-19
This article was produced and syndicated by MediaFeed.org.